Thursday, April 3, 2008

Dr. King: Celebration of a life


When I think of Dr. King the first thing that comes to mind is a famous quote from Coming to America. “Yeah, I met Dr. Martin Luther King in 1962 in Memphis, Tennessee. I’m walkin’ down the street, mindin’ my own business, just walkin’ along, feelin’ good. I walk round a corner. A man walk up, hit me in my chest, right? I fall on the ground? And I look up, and it’s Dr. Martin Luther King! I said, ‘Dr. King!’ He said, ‘Oops, I thought you was somebody else." As funny as this is the Life of Dr. King is no laughing matter. Growing up as a child in the 80's I had so many classmates who wrote papers about this great man. I have to be honest, back then I really couldn't grasp his greatness and quite frankly by the late 90's I was sick and tired of hearing about him. I couldn't grasp his excellence and was more interested in the history of slavery than that of the Civil Rights Movement. As an adult African American Female I now have great respect for King and his legacy. For the first time in life I had an emotional feeling about his death. I urge anybody who wants to be moved by this great man to pick up a copy of Life Magazine's Celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I leave you with a few of Dr. King's words about how he wanted to be remembered when he gave his "Drum Major Instinct" speech.

I'd like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others.

I'd like for somebody to say that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to love somebody.

I want you to say that day that I tried to be right on the war question.

I want you to be able to say that day that I did try to feed the hungry.

And I want you to be able to say that day that I did try in my life to clothe those who were naked.

I want you to say on that day that I did try in my life to visit those who were in prison.

I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Maya! I'm so very proud of your blog and glad that you took the time to remember Dr. King today. I watched an amazing documentary last night on CNN "Eyewitness to a Murder: The King Assassination". It made me to better appreciate the things he did and the commitment so many black Americans had during the Civil Rights Movement.

Take care, Evina :)

Madame Editor-in-Chief said...

I wanted to see that too, but I was watching a story about him and the Holiday on TVOne. I will have to catch that.