Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back Snitches:. Its Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten CD’s you should have by now. And no, J*Davey is not on the list. Not really feeling them here at the Shiznit. I am sure they have their place in musical history, just not at the Shiznit.

1. Adele- The British are definitely repping their hood. No more ATL, NY, LA, Chi-town, etc! Londontown stand up! “How dare you think you’d get away with trying to play me!” How could you not love a woman with lyrics like that. Of course, Mark Ronson produces my favorite song on the album, Cold Shoulder!


2. Duffy- This is a sound out of 1960’s that is a wonderful eargasm, to my new millennium ears. Mercy will have you begging for mercy. Whenever I hear this song, I automatically start dancing as if I am auditioning for Hairspray.


3. Solange- I have to be honest in saying, I never thought she would be on the list. But I am loving this CD. I respect that she can do what Kelly Rowland cant’, “Get the hell out of Beyonce’s Shadow!” Different sound, creative producers. I mean does everything Mark Ronson touch, bring you a step away from catching the Holy Ghost. The boy is bad! Cee-lo and Pharrell also lend a hand to this effort. By the way when is Cee-lo working on another album, I’m feenin! Go on girl, put America back on the musical map! Highlights include T.O.N.Y., Would’ve Been the One, and I Decided!


4. Emily King- This is such a relaxing CD. It’s a wonder I can stay awake when I am driving and listening to Ms. King. The resemblance to Lauren Hills sound is uncanny, but there is something different. Come on Lauren don’t let these girls have the stage forever.


5. Estelle- Sheer Magnificence! But I think you already knew that. Her first US effort put American R&B to shame. No wonder Lauren Hill is in hiding, its too much competition coming out of Britania! No need to point out hits on this CD, the whole thing is musically consistent. The lyrics are en pointe, and it naturally does a graceful leap over all the other ugly swans in the lake.


6. Emiliana Torrini- Technically this album isn’t out, but it should be. A refreshing change from the humdrum R&B scene of the United States.


7. Ledisi- I played this cd to the point of no return. I have more scratches on this CD than on my Ray Parker Jr., Ghostbusters Soundtrack CD! That is just how much I have listened, rewound, and sang along with in my best bravado to this CD.


8. Al Green- Could it possibly be that because he recycled old beats from his classic songs to create new ones, that I love this so much. Or maybe it’s because I didn’t think he still had it, but he does. Whatever it is, I likes!


9. Raheem Devaughn- And Mr. Devaughn I have to let you know, you are lucky to be on this list. I am of the firm belief that you talk too much. Sing the damned song! However I love this effort. Customer was the main reason I even considered listening to the rest of this CD.


10. There is no entry for number ten, because I can't think of anyone who is worth putting in this slot. However it called top ten so we can't skip this number. Lets just say Alice Smith for the sake of argument. I like her music a lot. Her personality leaves a lot to be desired. So maybe you should tell us who is worthy of the #10 spot!

2 comments:

Eb the Celeb said...

yes yes yes yes yes

I love your taste in music

I thought the same about Solange and I am glad I gave her a chance because I am loving her album too

A lot of people dont know about Emily King so I am happy you mentioned her

Right now I am patiently waiting for Jazmine Sullivan to drop... only 2 more weeks... I cant wait... I have had Bust your Windows and Lions, tigers, bears on heavy rotation so I cant wait to hear the rest of the album

Madame Editor-in-Chief said...

Agreed! It takes a village to support good music.