Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Good Music


When is the last time you purchased a good CD? I mean think about it. Was it Who is Jill Scott? Over the last 5+ years we have been in a musical drought. The Good music is few and far between, with acts such as Kindred, Ledisi, Emily King, etc. 2007 brought in a year of good music for the British (i.e. Mark Ronson, Lily Allen, Amy Winehouse, Corinne Bailey Ray, James Morrison, etc.) But in America is anyone besides Kanye, Lupe, and Jigga going to make a masterpiece. In 2007 I purchased the only American artist to have a complete masterpiece, Chrisette Michelle and Alice Smith. Thank goodness for them, however I met Alice and she wasn't friendly. I started to Frisbee her CD back at her, but that's a different can of worms. I cant even say that my favorite singer in the industry, Mary J. Blige, had a good CD. Mary J, is probably the most consistent R&B artist in the industry but her latest CD was a disappointment! People kept telling me this CD is almost like My Life. My guess is those people got bonus tracks because I didn't hear anything as remotely good as the My Life album on this CD. Or maybe they should remove the tootsie roll from their ears. Its more like the Love and Life album, which was still better than the current one. And it has nothing to do with her new happy tunes, because I loved The Breakthrough, for your information! But I digress. Still love Mary! Don't even get me started on Erykah Badu. I will just say there is more in her vegetable juice than veggies.


The other day I purchased Estelle and this was a breath of fresh air because the CD is just phenomenal, but brings me back to point "A" all the good music these days is coming from Londontown. Estelle is a combo of Lauren Hill, Floetry, and Lily Allen. Its definitely the musical eargasm that I have been longing for. If you want to hear good music check out the following people:


Estelle

Joy Denalane

Emily King

Gnarls Barkley

Ledisi

Ayo

Anthony David


No comments: