Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Top Ten Tuesday


Top 10 Sayings that should have been retired as of 01/01/08. Some of them should have been retired before then, but I digress. There are signs to let you know when a quotes time is up. Such as other racial groups using the terms (i.e. Paris Hilton, That's Hot!), a quote expires in a year to a year 1/2, and when the brother who is still rocking the kid n' play high top starts using the quote its time for it to die.

10. Off the hook- Whether you say Off the Hook, Heezy, Chain, Wall, Meat Rack, etc. Its officially time to let it go. As a matter of fact that should have been retired 01/01/06. The variations of the saying is what did me in. Its gone on for far too long. I think I first heard this saying in 1997 as a freshman in college, when we retired "Tight" as a reference to something amazing.

9 . I's married now!- I know what your thinking who says this. Well if you have been to a black wedding over the last 10 years you know that black women across America think this is so hilarious to say after they are married. Thank Sophia (Oprah Winfrey) from the Color Purple. Black people love to quote this movie, myself included. However they have worn out this particular line. Let's move on and wear out another saying from this movie. I vote for "J-A-R, jar!" or "Did I ever ask you for anything, did I ever ask you for anything. I never asked you for anything not even your sorry a$$ hand in marriage." Be sure to save the last one for your divorce, it will be classic in the court room, and might save you some alimony money. You might have to pay court cost for cussing but it will feel good.

8 . That's what's up!- No, actually, its not what's up! I'll tell you what's up, me kicking a cleft into your chin the next time you say it. I dare ya!

7 . Chillaxin- Every time here someone ask What's up! and the response is "Chillaxin" I puke. What peni$ breath came up with this? It wasn't funny or cool the first time I heard it and look 2 years later I am still frowning every time I hear it. I don't know why we like to combine words to make new ones.

6 . Grown and Sexy- Every party, club, flier, bar mitzvah, cookout, office meeting, and divorce proceeding, has been labeled grown and sexy.

5 . Ladies report to the dance floor- This saying really only applies to Diddy, all Bad Boy Artist, and Usher. What's bad about this saying is it has trickled down to DJ's who love saying this. Do you really think this is going to convince people to dance? Every time I hear this I report to the exit.

4 . It is what it is- This quote probably carried the longest time span, because I know people's grandparents who have used this term before.

3 . That's Hot- Paris Hilton killed this saying approximately 5 years ago. And its now Frozen, thanks a lot. Oh and if you say Hotness, that is just a variation of That's Hot, so let it go.

2 . Keep it real- Whether you are keeping it real, kept it real, will continue to keep it real. All I ask is that you stop, maybe even keep it fake sometimes. But whatever you do don't keep it real. This one was ruined by Miss Cleo. The first time she used it in one of her infamous commercials, I fell out of my chair and had a seizure. It just doesn't sound legitimate once its said with an Island accent. "Keep it real, brethren!" See what I mean.

1. I'ma make it do what it do!- I cant tell you what this saying does to my ears. Its kind of like hearing K-Ci and Jo-Jo live in concert. Disaster!! This should have been retired once Jamie "Ray Charles" Foxx got his Oscar. It hasn't been funny since. On top of all that it makes the person saying it look stupid and lame.

No comments: