Wednesday, June 4, 2008

So Slick and Moist



I have to say I don't think I know anyone who loves an S-Curl more than Diddy. Today I will take a look at his long history with S-Curls. Every man who walks through the door of bad boy has been blessed with an S-Curl courtesy of Diddy, unless they are follicular challenged. Now before we get into Diddy, lets examine the S-Curl and what its all about.


Definition:

S-Curl- 1. a signature trademark style for Luster Products, which designed to slightly straighten the natural hair texture of a man of African descent, so that natural wave and curl patterns are looser and more prominent. 2. Too relieve ones head of naps! 3. A form of revolutionary task in which you take a stand against the light skinned brothers.


OK I know what you are thinking, "What is the difference between this and a Jheri Curl!" Well that's just it, there isn't a difference, but don't tell Diddy I said it. I mean the hair is neatly cropped into a cut, but its still a curl. I mean just think if his current artist knew that they were walking around with new day Jheri Curls, they would break their contracts with the quickness. Wouldn't you!

History:
Diddy has a long history with the S-Curls. It goes all the way back to his non-graduating days at Howard University (HU). When he made the change from Rags to Riches he brought the S-Curl with him. Changing the heads of black male artist in the industry. Diddy even has his sons Justin and Christian running round dripping wet with curl juice at the beach. What's good enough for Mr. Combs head is definitely good enough for the fam. Below I have created a list of artist who Diddy blessed with an S-Curl.


The Artist:
Jodeci- Well not the entire band (just K-Ci, Dalvin and DeVante). Jo Jo never quite had success in the hair department.

B5
- I know what you are thinking, these little guys already were born with built in S-Curls. However Puff has managed to create and S-Curlesque look with Hair Gel.

Carl Thomas- He thought he was fooling us by not putting in as much activator as the others. "Nah N*gga, you ain't slick!" I recognize a natural when I see it, and you my dear man, are an impostor.

Usher- Although not signed to Bad Boy he was definitely groomed by Diddy. Also I know you don't think that kinky fade, grew into an extra straight, but wavy Caesar!

Loon- He had such a dry career, and ashy Malik Yoba-esque lips, so he needed a little moisture in his life. Hence, Puff introduced him to the S-Curl. Much to his credit though he kept it extra low to maintain his hoodness!

Mase- Just because you keep it cut extra close doesn't mean it don't exist. Thought you had us fooled didn't you Minister Mase. The lord hath blessed you too with a curl! Not even a doo-rag can accomplish the waves that were flowing across that big submarine head of his.

Day 26- My favorite S-Curl victims are Robert and Big Mike (who also has a stellar pair of Hazel Contacts, but that's a subject for a different day). Robert, Robert, Robert! That apple shaped hair cut that they gave him, wasn't enough to bring this brother down. No they had to throw salt on the wounds and give him an S-Curl. Every time I saw him I broke out into a thunderous roar of laughter. Actually the first time they showed his new bad boy look, I laughed harder than ever. I am still trying to chase that high.

I am now of the firm belief that Sean Combs invented not just the remix, but the Jheri Curl, S-Curl, Leisure Curl, and Wave Nuveau. He is indeed a man of many talents.

No comments: